Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ad Hoc DIY Chicken Coop


I am very late in posting about my chicken coop project.  I built my coop last Summer using a mix of new and salvage materials. I have no building experience, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.  The only thing I knew about framing a wall was what I could recall from one Spring Break youth group mission trip to Mexico in the 80's where I helped frame a couple of walls to an edition on a missionary's house.  That was a very long time ago, so I referred to my brains reference of many HGTV viewing hours and You Tube videos to fill in any blanks.  I did not draw up formal plans.  Like most of my projects, I just kind of winged it.

I started with two pallets for the foundation and framed them with 2 x 4's.



I based my overall dimensions on he footprint that the pallets provided and a height that would accommodate a salvage French door I picked up.  I framed the sides and then attached to the floor base.  Instead of pre-framing the front and back wall and then assembling, I built them in place.  Starting with the floor, sides, then top of wall.  Please forgive my lack of correct technical terms, again, I am winging it here.


As for design, I simply knew that I wanted to install my salvage window overlooking the garden and that the roost would be positioned at window height so the girls could see out.  I also knew that I wanted the door in front facing the yard and the chicken run would be to the rear of the coop, so I needed an opening a floor level on the rear wall.  

If years of watching DIY shows has taught me anything, it is that plumb and level matter.  I used my level to check that as I went along everything was plumb and level.


Using the window dimensions, I planned he vertical and horizontal framing so that the window had something to attach to.  I mostly just used common sense here and used a vertical stud to support a horizontal stud which then supported the window frame.  I used the same kind of structure above the window and then flanked the window frame with vertical studs.


I framed the front wall by spacing vertical studs to accommodate the door and then added horizontal bracing studs for rigidity.  For the far side wall I simply added one vertical stud in the center and then a few horizontal studs for structure.  The rear wall was framed much the same way to accommodate a small square opening at floor level.

While all of the 2 x 4 framing was new wood, I used salvage cedar deck boards from the deck we just removed for the flooring and siding, as well as the roof.




I wanted to keep things light and bright inside the coop so I painted the interior white.


When the girls first moved in they were quite young and not yet in need of nesting boxes.  I will add pictures later to show the phase two additions of large feeders and nesting area.




I painted the exterior to match our house and added trim.  The roof was built to allow front and back vents.  The vents were covered with machine cloth.  The roof boards were then covered in new shingles.  I also used white flashing along all of the edges for functionality and a more finished look.


And what cute little cottage would be complete without a flower box?


I debated whether I wanted to frame a run at coop height out of wood and chicken wire, but decided to go with a pre-fab steel kennel kit from Home Depot.  It assembled quickly and we anchored it to the back wall of the coop.  We get some predators in our yard so we stretched and secured steel wire fencing all across the top of the run.


I know a real builder would probably look at this and cringe as I am sure I didn't do everything up to code.  It is, after all, a backyard chicken coop and I'm pretty sure my chickens have no complaints.  I think the thing I enjoy most about winging it on projects like this is that I always learn something new through the trial and error process and then the next project turns out a little better than the one before it.



No comments:

Post a Comment