Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Accent Table Makeover



I picked up this cute little accent table at a garage sale for $5.  I liked the unique shape of it and knew I would eventually have a special purpose for it.


I decided to use the table in my living room, but knew I needed to lighten it up a bit because we have a little too much brown going on in there right now.  I decided to do a paint treatment just to the table top and leave the base alone.  I started by doing a light sanding of the top finish to the table top.

Since I am doing a letter project with paint and wood grain I wanted to put a coat of fresh stain on the top to achieve a nice contrast.


Once the stain was dry I placed my letters.  I used alphabet stickers from the craft store $1.99 a pack. I bought two packs but still needed more of certain letters such as "e" and "a" but I didn't want to purchase several more sticker packets resulting in a lot of waste.  I traced the letters I still needed on contact paper then cut them out with a craft blade.


Once my letters were set, I painted one coat of paint.  I used some leftover wall paint that I had on hand.  Once the paint was very dry I scored the edges of the letters with a craft blade before removing the stickers.




Next I lightly sanded the paint to give it a lightly distressed appearance.



I wiped on, then immediately wiped off gel stain in walnut to highlight the distressed marks and give the paint an aged look.



Lastly, when the stain is dry I painted on a coat of clear water based poly in a satin finish.



This was a very quick and very frugal little project.  The table was $5, the stickers were less than $4 and I used leftover paint, stain and poly that I had in the garage.

The best thing about a project like this is if you mess it up, just sand it back to the original wood again and re-stain it.  No harm.  I am happy with the result.


No comments:

Post a Comment