Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Old School

Speaking of distractions... well this fun little project was an unplanned one.  As is often the case, I pay a visit to my nearby building salvage store for materials for one project and I get distracted by something cool and then a new project is added to the already ridiculous project list.  I mean, really... how could I resist?



This little guy was such a find, $50 at my local Habitat For Humanity ReStore and it reminds me of the exact kind of desk I sat in once upon a time (okay, circa 1978) at Elmhurst Elementary School.  It even came with a bonus vintage wad of gum inside.  As soon as I saw this I had to bring it home for my little budding 6 year old fashion designer to use as her drawing desk.  The compact size won't take up too much space in her already cozy room.  When she saw it she was so excited and off to Home Depot we were so she could select a color to paint the metal.  Of course, she would pick the most obnoxious pink they had... but that's okay as it is her special desk for her room.  You are only a 6 year old girl once, so super bright obnoxious pink it is!

First thing to do was to sand the wood desk top and seat to get rid of decades of grime and scratches... and gum.  Once sanded, I taped up all the wood pieces so I could prime.

                                      


Next, 2 coats of Rustoleum Berry Pink.


Once the paint was dry I removed the painters tape and applied 3 coats of clear matte water based poly.


I have a Berry Happy little girl and this was a fun fast project.


2 comments:

  1. That's for your help. I have a desk that looks just like this one and I am going to refinish it with a turquoise blue. It was a play desk of mine when I was little "playing school" and now I plan to use it in my kindergarten classroom. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I just bought one of these exactly, except the color, and was wondering how to paint it due to the rivets in the wood not being able to be removed. Did you put the clear matte poly on the wood also?
    Did the paint keep the "moving" parts from moving? My desk part has three levels.

    ReplyDelete